Raw artichokes?!?!? I didn't think it was possible until I created and fell in love with this salad.
Serves about 4
- ¼ cup cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed chili pepper
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced into very thin strips on a mandoline
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, well packed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 medium artichokes
- 2 tablespoons hemp seed, plus additional for garnishing
- 8 Sicilian olives, sliced
- Begin by making a marinade, whisking together the olive oil, garlic, salt and chili pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the onion and parsley; set aside.
- Juice the lemons and place remaining rinds in a large bowl of cold water.
- Prepare the artichokes by removing and discarding all of the sharp outer leaves. Stop when you reach the pale inner leaves. Peel the stem with a vegetable peeler. Place the artichokes in the lemon water bath to prevent browning.
- Removing one artichoke from the bath at a time, slice the tender parts, including the stem, very finely into thin strips. Remove the fuzzy choke and any sharp inner leaves and discard.
- Place the sliced artichoke in a large bowl and immediately drench in the lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Toss with the onion, parsley and the prepared marinade. Mix in the hemp seeds and olives. Top with additional hemp seeds and chili pepper to garnish when serving. Serve immediately and enjoy the pleasure.